If you're looking for a simple way to make your salads more nutritious and filling, consider adding ancient grains to your greens! But, what exactly are ancient grains, and why are they SO beneficial for your health?
Ancient grains are a type of whole grain that have been around for thousands of years and have not been genetically modified like many modern grains. They include grains like quinoa, amaranth, and farro, and are rich in fiber, protein, and many essential nutrients!
Ancient grains to add to your salads:
- Quinoa: This grain is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. It's also a good source of fiber, magnesium, and phosphorus.
- Farro: Farro is a type of wheat that has a nutty flavor and chewy texture. It's a good source of fiber, protein, and B vitamins.
- Amaranth: Amaranth is a gluten-free grain that's high in protein and fiber. It's also a good source of minerals like magnesium, iron, and zinc.
- Buckwheat: Buckwheat is a gluten-free grain. It has a slightly earthy flavor and a lovely texture that adds depth to any salad.
- Freekah: Freekah is an ancient grain that is widely used in Middle Eastern cuisine. It has a slightly smoky flavor and a chewy texture.
- Bulgar: Bulgar is an ancient grain that is often used in Middle Eastern cuisine. It is an excellent source of dietary fiber, providing around 8 grams of fiber per cooked cup. Bulgar is also rich in vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, and B-vitamins.
These nutrient-dense grains offer a variety of health benefits and add a delicious and satisfying crunch to your salads. So, next time you make a salad, try incorporating some ancient grains and see how they will improve your lunch! Enjoy browsing the many recipe options below!
Salads with Nourishing Ancient Grains
Cranberry Apple Buckwheat Salad
Zesty Quinoa Salad
Tabbouleh (with Bulgar)
Kale Quinoa Salad
Rainbow Buckwheat Salad
Warm Roasted Veggie Quinoa Salad
Sorghum Salad with Kohlrabi, Apple & Fennel
Ancient Grains Salad
Quinoa Black Bean Avocado Salad
Farro Salad with Tahini Vinaigrette
Quinoa Arugula Salad
Ancient Grains Salad (with Farro)
Farro Salad with Fennel, Feta and Crushed Olives
Pear and Arugula Salad (Sprouted Quinoa)
Greek Pesto Quinoa Salad
Paneer Quinoa Salad with Pomegranate and Toasted Seeds
Roasted Acorn Squash Salad (with Wheat Berries)
Zesty Quinoa Salad
Farro Salad with Caramelized Onion
Pumpkin Quinoa Salad
Buckwheat Salad with Kale & Feta
Spiced Chickpea Grain Bowls
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Avocado Quinoa Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing
You had me at farro!! Also I had an absolutely delicious freekeh salad at a restaurant and been trying to hunt it down ever since! It was served with labneh and it was one of those meals you keep dreaming about. Thanks for a great list! Can’t wait to try them all!