Introducing: a delightful treat for apple lovers! Apple Cinnamon Mousse can be enjoyed any time of day or as an elegant, light and refreshing way to end a meal. You can assemble this dessert in 15 minutes and have a cold and crisp dessert to serve to guests with minimal effort.
It is lightly sweetened with maple syrup but if you prefer you could swap the maple syrup for an unsweetened apple butter. That way this dessert would be sweetened entirely by fruit.
Flavor Additions or Swaps:
- swap the cinnamon for chai spice or pumpkin pie spice
- omit the cinnamon entirely for a lightly flavor
- add in a swirl of jam or fresh fruit
- try adding some lemon zest and a touch of lemon juice
- for a different texture try dicing the apple instead of grating them
- experiment with using different varieties of apples to control the sweetness.
- top with crushed pecans or hazelnuts
- add a tablespoon or two of any nut or seed butter when you're mixing up the greek yogurt
I have a lot of chocolate recipes on the blog. I am a huge chocolate fan and especially a huge chocolate and peanut butter fan but I am slowly adding more fruit forward dishes to the blog. My 5 year old son doesn't like chocolate or peanut butter so it's pushing me to expand my own taste preferences as well!
More Naturally Sweet Desserts:
- Healthy Chocolate Pudding
- Chocolate Covered Pineapple
- High Protein Ice Cream
- Date Sweetened Cookies
- Earl Grey Panna Cotta
- Lemon Cottage Cheese Mousse
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make Greek yogurt at home! Simply line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheesecloth and add plain yogurt. Place in the fridge and allow it to sit for a minimum of 2 hours. The whey will drain from the yogurt and you will be left with thick Greek yogurt.
Some apple varieties are sweeter than others. Some examples of sweet apples are Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious and the ever so popular Honey Crisp.
Some apple varieties are more tart than others. Some examples of tart apples are Granny Smith or Pink Lady.
In a small bowl mix together Greek yogurt, maple syrup, cinnamon and pure vanilla.
Add grated apple and stir thoroughly.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, whip up heavy cream until soft peaks.
Gently fold the Greek yogurt mixture into the whipped cream until well combined but don't overmix.
Transfer the mixture into small dessert bowls. Top with crushed nuts of your choice and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes and enjoy!
Tips for Making Apple Mousse
- Look for cream with simple ingredients. Cream shouldn't have stabalizers and extra additives. Many brands of cream do contain extras to prolong its shelf life. For this dessert I highly recommend splurging on pure organic cream.
- I like including the apple skin when I grate up the apple but you can remove it if you prefer. If using the skin I recommend an organic apple.
- I like using Golden Delicious or Honey Crisp apples in this dessert but if you prefer a more tart apple I recommend choosing Granny Smith or Pink Lady.
- For a thicker consistency you can strain away some of the whey from your Greek yogurt. I often do this!
More Recipes to Enjoy
The combination of tart fresh cranberries enrobed in sweet chocolate is a unique flavour experience. The best part is when you take a bite the cranberry pops in your mouth and you’re met with a sour burst of flavour.
Date Paste is a delicious all natural sweetener that reminds me of the taste of salted caramel. The smooth texture and deep flavour reminiscent of molasses is an excellent healthy alternative to sugar in baked goods.
You’re really going to love having this easy, fail-proof recipe in your repertoire. And the best part? It’s choose your own adventure with toppings!
Save to Pinterest
Cinnamon Apple Mousse
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 ½ tbsp pure maple syrup (OR swap for unsweetened apple butter)
- 1 cup grated apple optional: with apple skin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp walnuts crushed
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- In a small bowl mix together Greek yogurt, maple syrup, cinnamon and pure vanilla.
- Add grated apple and stir thoroughly.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whip up heavy cream until soft peaks.
- Gently fold the Greek yogurt mixture into the whipped cream until well combined but don't overmix.
- Transfer the mixture into small dessert bowls. Top with crushed walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon and allow the dessert to set in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes and then enjoy!
If you make this recipe please leave a comment and give this recipe a rating! I aim to respond to every single comment. I am so grateful when you trust me and try one of my recipe creations in your own kitchen. I love to hear how it went! Let’s connect on Instagram and tag me in your food pics!
‘Til next time,
Valery Brown says
So impressed with this recipe! I love that it’s an exciting treat I can feed my children and I don’t have to worry about their health! They can ask me for this anytime !
I’m making it tonight !
My brother is a huge apple fan and when I made this for him he did nothing but rave about it!
I made this to serve after dinner with friends this weekend and wow! We loved it so much! It is a great dessert to serve after a meal, without feeling too heavy or like you've eaten too much!
This was such a treat for me and my apple loving family. I've never though about apple mousse being a thing and now I see how much I've been missing out. This is definitely a recipe that will be added to our meal rotations.
I can't believe how easy this is! It's the perfect elegant dessert, everyone asks for the recipe!
I love all apple desserts, so this recipe sounds like the perfect one to try! Thanks for the recipe share, excited to give it a try!
If I were to name one dessert that I love the most, it would probably be a mousse. And apple mousse would be high in that group for sure. Fantastic recipe!
This is a delicious treat and I love the warm spices in this mousse.
I was so glad when I came across your recipe and had all of the ingredients to make it on hand. The apple mousse is tasty and delicious! I will definitely be making it again!
We had friends over for dinner last night and made this dessert. Everyone loved it! Really, you had me at cinnamon and walnuts. I also love that it's egg free. It's as tasty as it is pretty.
Min S says
A delicious treat! I've made this several times and everyone loved it! Do you think I can use half and half instead of heavy cream if I want it slightly healthier?
Christy Faber says
As long as it's able to be whipped up it would work! Potentially you would want to try whipped coconut cream for a swap? 🙂