Recently I have been going for long walks on a daily basis and also wanted to increase my protein intake to balance my blood sugars. Cottage cheese was the perfect option for that except for one thing. I prefer smooth, creamy textures like pudding and mousse--"no obstacles". So I decided to blend the cottage cheese with a little maple syrup and I had the perfect high protein snack. This inspired me to imagine where else I could add the smooth texture of blended cottage cheese to increase protein content and this Ice Cream recipe was the result! If you prefer a less sweet dessert, you can omit the maple syrup as an overripe banana adds a lot of natural sweetness.
More Sweet Treats:
Frequently Asked Questions
One cup of cottage cheese is approximately 30 grams of protein and the addition of peanut butter adds another 4 grams of protein.
Add all the ingredients except the milk into your blender. Blend until combined and smooth.
Divide this mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze well.
When mixture is frozen and you are ready to eat the ice cream, add back into the blender. Add the milk and blend to a soft serve ice cream consistency. Add a little more milk only if needed to get the blender going. Enjoy!
Tips for Making Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Use well ripened banana in this recipe for maximum flavour and sweetness.
- Pour the blended mixture into ice cube trays and freeze well. Blend from frozen with just enough milk to allow the blender to work well. The ice cream will be a soft serve consistency. Enjoy immediately.
- This recipe makes one serving. Double or triple to serve more people or to have ready in the freezer for another time.
More Recipes to Enjoy
These peanut butter swirl black bean brownies are so fudgy and so delicious. The texture can’t be beaten! They seriously are like fudge.
These gluten-free buckwheat flour brownies are fudgy and chocolatey. They really call for a tall glass of ice-cold milk.
My recipe for Date Cookies creates a delicious and nutritious cookie filled with oats, nuts and dried fruit. These cookies are similar to an oatmeal raisin cookie but use dates instead.
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- ½ overripe banana, fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoon milk (or enough to get blender going)
- Add all the ingredients except the milk into your blender. Blend until combined and smooth.
- Divide this mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze well.
- When mixture is frozen and you are ready to eat the ice cream, add back into the blender. Add the milk and blend to a soft serve ice cream consistency. Add a little more milk only if needed to get the blender going. Enjoy!
‘Til next time,