Lemonade, Upgraded. Chia Seed Lemonade sometimes referred to as Chia Fresca, is a refreshing, bright drink that packs a hydrating health super punch! Boba Tea made drinks with texture a fun trend—but this chia seed lemon drink delivers a hydrating gel texture that is more accessible to everyone. The delicious taste and many health benefits will have you making up a batch to share with everyone you know!
Health Benefits of this Drink:
- Chia seeds absorb water quickly and can take up to 10 times their weight in liquid! This creates a fun gel-like texture and allows you to maximize your hydration.
- With over 4 g of fibre in 1 tablespoon, these little seeds are a great source of fibre (specifically soluble fibre, which helps you feel full, helps with digestion, and helps you absorb the water more slowly) allowing for continuous absorption of the water even hours after you drink it!
- Chia seeds can be so helpful for digestion and can help improve the health of your BMs. This matters! A good indicator of health.
- These tiny seeds also provide a source of antioxidants which help prevent cell damage caused by free radicals in the body.
- They also nourish your body with several important minerals, such as calcium, phosphorus, zinc, and copper.
- Chia seeds are anti-inflammatory. Enjoying chia seeds regularly may also help to reduce inflammatory markers, which often indicate the presence of inflammatory disease.
- These seeds have a good ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids, and a high fibre and protein content. In fact they are what is called a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids.
- Lemons are high in Vitamin C which is an antioxidant that protects cells from damaging free radicals and is a vitamin known to strengthen the immune system to fight against the germs that cause the common cold and the flu.
- Although lemon juice is very acidic, small amounts mixed with water can have an alkalizing effect when it's digested. Increasing alkalinity in your body is said to boost your overall health and reduce your risk of chronic disease.
- Lemons provide a potassium boost as well!
- Sea Salt is rich in trace minerals —high-quality grey and pink sea salts typically contain 60 trace minerals or more! Look for a quality brand like Maison Orphée Grey Sea Salt
- Sea salt contains many of the major electrolytes, like sodium, magnesium, calcium and potassium that are essential for good health. Perfect for a summer drink!
- Pure maple syrup is known to be high in antioxidants. Every teaspoon also offers nutrients like riboflavin, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
Frequently Asked Questions
Salvia hispanica, a member of the mint family, is where we get chia seeds from. It was first enjoyed in Central America where the seed was a staple in the ancient Aztec diet.
Yes, Chia seeds are a complete protein. Meaning they have all nine essential amino acids! 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds delivers 2 grams of protein, boasts of 4 grams of fibre and even contains omega 3 fatty acids too!
Yes, Good news! Chia Seeds are gluten free.
Chia seeds have a mild nutty flavour that makes the seed very versatile. Because of how subtle they taste —chia seeds are able to be put in both sweet and savoury recipes. In raw form, the texture of the chia seed is crunchy and much like a poppy seed but in the case of our lemonade, the chia will have a gel like texture as one chia seed absorbs many times its own weight in liquid, so it's like a tiny sponge.
The best way to store flax and chia seeds—as with all nuts and seeds—is in a glass jar in the fridge. While keeping nuts and seeds at room temperature can be totally fine for a period of time, the longer they sit, the higher chance there is that they can go rancid.
Try Other Flavours!
- A slice of fresh ginger
- A dash of cinnamon & cayenne pepper
- A sprinkle of turmeric
- Cold green tea instead of water
- Add cucumbers
More Recipes to Enjoy
Lilac Lemonade is the perfect way to enjoy spring to the fullest. It is refreshing, thirst-quenching, floral and the perfect balance of tart and sweet.
Tahini Hot Chocolate is a thick, comforting hot drink with a truly underrated flavour combination: tahini and chocolate.
Chia Seed Lemonade
Chia Seed Lemonade
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 5 ice cubes
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- pinch of quality sea salt
- slices of lemon for garnish
- Squeeze 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and add to a regular size drinking glass.
- Add maple syrup, sea salt and water to the same glass and stir well.
- Add ice cubes and slices of lemon in the glass for garnish and top with chia seeds and stir well.
- Allow the chia seeds to absorb water for a few minutes or drink immediately. Enjoy!
‘Til next time,