Rich and savoury ground beef and mushroom filling encased in a flaky, buttery pastry, Ground Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie takes comfort food to another level!
This delicious and easy dinner will be your new go-to! With only 40 minutes of cooking time, it's super fast to make. The best part is that your entire family will love it!
The pot pie is made with hearty and wholesome ingredients like ground beef, mushrooms, and onion. It's seasoned to perfection and baked to a golden pie lover's dream! And if you're feeling creative, it's so easy to customize! Toss in your favourite vegetables and voila! You've got yourself a wholesome meal packed with protein and nutrients.
There's nothing quite like the first bite of a delicious family pot pie recipe, and this one never disappoints! Every time I cook this recipe, the anticipation is always the same. Everyone in my family loves this one. Before you know it, they're reaching for seconds… and thirds.
Everyone will appreciate the depth of flavour in this Ground Beef and Mushroom Pie recipe! With classic seasonings like sage, thyme, and parsley paired with the sweet, woody flavor of cinnamon, you are bound to fall in love with this tasty dish!
Prefer a healthier option? One simple swap is to use spelt flour in the pie crust. Spelt flour is a nutrient-rich alternative to all-purpose flour, and adds a delicious nutty flavor to the crust. Plus, it's so easy to work with. You won't even be able to tell the difference! So if you're looking for a healthy pot pie recipe, be sure to give my spelt flour crust a try.
Ready to dig in? This Ground Beef and Mushroom Pie recipe is sure to impress anyone you're having over for dinner! The beef is cooked with flavourful spices and then layered with a perfectly seasoned mushroom and onion filling. Top it off with a flaky, buttery pastry crust and the next thing you know, you're everyone's dinner-hero! This bubbly and delish recipe is perfect for a quiet night in on a cold night or a celebratory meal for Christmas like we do in our house. So, next time you're looking for an impressive meal, give this recipe a try!
More Easy Supper Recipes:
- Cranberry Wild Rice Soup with Chicken
- Pesto Quiche
- Chana Masala
- Lemon Orzo Soup
- Apple Cider Butternut Squash Soup
Frequently Asked Questions
This pot pie recipe pairs exceptionally well with classic sides like smooth and buttery mashed potatoes or hassle back potatoes! Vegetables such as steamed and seasoned green beans or a green salad with a refreshing and bright dressing would be the perfect compliment.
This pot pie freezes very well, so you can always have one on hand for a quick meal! Cook the pie and allow it to fully cool. Wrap your Ground Beef and Mushroom Pie tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to help to prevent freezer burn and to keep the crust from becoming soggy. Once it's wrapped, place the pie in the freezer and enjoy it within six months. When you're ready to eat, thaw the pie overnight in the refrigerator and then bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven until heated through. Stock your freezer with this tasty meal—it'll be waiting for you whenever you need a little comfort in your life!
If making your own pie crust is a bit intimidating for you right now, there's no shame in taking a shortcut and using store-bought crust. Sure– I'm a teeny bit biased because I love a tasty, homemade crust, but store-bought crust could be a great alternative for you if you are pressed for time.
Begin by prepping your ingredients and dicing the onion and mushrooms.
In a medium-sized pan, cook the onion and ground beef until browned and remove any excess fat.
Add the mushrooms and cook for another minute or two. Remove from heat.
Add the spices, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt and pepper and set the beef aside to cool slightly. Taste the mixture now to adjust for seasonings.
In a separate small bowl, whisk 5 large eggs, add the chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste and stir.
Prepare your pie plate and roll out pie dough for top and bottom. Place the dough in the pie plate.
Stir the eggs into the beef mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour the filling into the pie plate and top with the other half of the rolled out pie dough. Crimp the edges and add a few vents to the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
Cook in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is a beautiful golden brown. Check the pie around 20 minutes and rotate the pie dish so the crust will brown evenly. Allow the pie to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
Tips for Making The Best Meat Pie
- I recommend placing the pie plate on a cookie sheet to protect your oven from potential spills.
- Take time to taste the beef filling (before adding the egg yolks) to taste and adjust for salt and seasonings. This step will make all the difference.
More Recipes to Enjoy
Introducing: Pineapple Cinnamon Chili. Expect traditional chili flavours with the addition of the sweet acidity of pineapple and the spicy comforting flavour of cinnamon.
Cranberry Wild Rice Chicken Soup
Cranberry Wild Rice Soup is like Christmas dinner in a bowl. It’s deliciously creamy, herby, and hearty.
Ground Beef and Mushroom Pie
Ground Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie
- Choose your favourite pie dough recipe. Ensure the recipe you choose makes enough for a double crust.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ lb cremini or white mushrooms diced (227 grams)
- ½ tsp ground dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp smooth dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley optional
- Prepare your pie dough. (Try my spelt flour pie crust for a healthier alternative!)
- Begin by prepping your ingredients and dicing the onion and mushrooms.
- In a medium-sized pan, cook the onion and ground beef until browned. Remove any excess fat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Add the spices, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper and set the beef aside to cool slightly. Taste the mixture now to adjust for seasonings.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk 5 large eggs. Add the chopped parsley, salt and pepper, and stir.
- Prepare your pie plate and roll out the pie dough for top and bottom. Place the dough in the pie plate.
- Stir the eggs into the beef mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour the filling into the pie plate and top with the other half of the rolled out pie dough. Crimp the edges and add a few vents to the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Cook in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is a beautiful golden brown. Check the pie after 20 minutes and rotate the pie dish so the crust will brown evenly. Allow the pie to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe please leave a comment and give this recipe a rating! I aim to respond to every single comment. I am so grateful when you trust me and try one of my recipe creations in your own kitchen. I love to hear how it went! Let’s connect on Instagram and tag me in your food pics!
‘Til next time,
Leave a Reply