This delicious, creamy Halloumi Cheese Stroganoff is perfect for a quick and satisfying weeknight dinner or a great option to serve your guests when you entertain. This recipe is both high in protein and vegetarian. With easy to follow instructions, you can make it in under 30 minutes! For another high protein meal option, check out my High Protein Cottage Cheese Quiche.
If you are making this stroganoff for one or two people, the recipe yields enough for leftovers, perfect for meal prepping or enjoying the next day.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- a high protein and vegetarian dinner option
- great for weeknight dinner or guests
- creamy and satisfying
- nutritious comfort food
- savoury with a hint of sweetness
- easy to follow instructions
- make in under 30 minutes
- Halloumi is a cheese made from a mixture of goat's and sheep's milk. Because it has a high melting point, it can be fried or grilled making it a popular meat substitute.
- Spinach is rich in iron, vitamins C and E, potassium and magnesium.
- Mushrooms contain protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They also add flavour and texture to this dish.
- Blended cottage cheese boosts the protein content in this dish and adds to the creaminess of the sauce.
- Egg noodles are traditionally served with stroganoff but feel free to substitute with rice or gluten free noodles.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- To make this dish gluten free, you can substitute rice or gluten free pasta for the egg noodles and use gluten free flour.
- Use either blended cottage cheese or sour cream.
- Instead of spinach, you could try arugula, kale or swiss chard.
I have not experimented with any other substitutions or alterations for this recipe. If you decide to make any changes by adding or substituting ingredients, I would love it if you could share your results with us by leaving a comment below.
How To Make High Protein Halloumi Stroganoff
Here are the step-by-step instructions to make this recipe.
Step 1: Prepare ingredients.
Cut 200g of halloumi cheese into strips. Dice one onion, mince 2 cloves of garlic and slice a package of mushrooms.
Step 2: Fry the halloumi cheese strips.
In a large skillet or frying pan, heat 2 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, add the halloumi strips and fry until they are nicely browned on both sides. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the halloumi from the pan and set aside.
Step 3: Cook onions and mushrooms.
In the same pan, add the diced onion and cook until softened, which should take about 3-4 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they have softened and released their juices.
Step 4: Add the spinach and garlic.
Add the three cups of spinach to the pan and sauté until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Step 5: Deglaze the pan.
Deglaze the pan with ⅓ cup of white wine scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Step 6: Combine flour and broth.
In a separate small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoon of flour into 2 cups of broth until no lumps remain. Stir this mixture into the pan.
Step 7: Add remaining ingredients and simmer.
Add 1 tablespoon of grainy mustard, 2 teaspoon of maple syrup, ½ teaspoon of thyme, a pinch of nutmeg and salt and pepper to the pan. Stir everything together and let the mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Step 8: Add blended cottage cheese.
Once the sauce has thickened, add ½ cup of blended cottage cheese or sour cream to the pan and stir until fully combined.
Step 9: Cook the egg noodles.
Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions.
Step 10: Add in the halloumi and egg noodles.
Finally, add the halloumi strips back into the pan and chop them into bite size pieces. Add the cooked and drained egg noodles and stir together.
Step 11: Serve and enjoy!
Serve the stroganoff hot. Top with fresh thyme if desired. Enjoy!
- Assemble and prepare your ingredients first for ease in cooking this dish.
- I like to slice the mushrooms on the larger size for this recipe to provide meatier bites.
- You can choose sour cream or blended cottage cheese for the sauce in this recipe. If you use cottage cheese you'll increase the protein amount by 15g!
- Pick a white wine that you'd enjoy drinking and pair the remaining wine with your meal.
- I don't add salt at all to this meal. I find that the Dijon mustard, broth, cottage cheese and halloumi add enough saltiness. But taste your final dish and adjust the seasoning to your taste preference!
- For an entirely vegetarian stroganoff, be sure to choose halloumi that doesn't contain animal rennet and use a vegetable broth.
- I like to chop up the halloumi when serving so there are small bite sized pieces throughout the stroganoff. But if you prefer you can leave them in the strips!
- To make this dish gluten free, choose rice, mashed potatoes or gluten free pasta to serve with your stroganoff. Also, for thickening the sauce, choose a gluten free flour.
Yes, halloumi is an excellent source of protein with 25 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving.
Halloumi has a mellow flavour with a hint of tanginess. It is similar in flavour to feta cheese but with a creamier texture.
I enjoy serving a lightly dressed side salad with stroganoff. Another delicious option would be roasted vegetables such as asparagus, Brussel sprouts, carrots or sweet potatoes.
Lower the heat before adding your blended cottage cheese or sour cream and make sure the sauce doesn't come to a boil after adding them.
Stroganoff can sit at room temperature for up to 2 hours and then should be refrigerated.
Stroganoff keeps in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days in an airtight container.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!
Leave a review or comment below!
- 200 grams halloumi cheese
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or butter divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 package mushrooms, button or cremini
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 cups broth of your choice
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme If using fresh thyme: add 1 ½ teaspoon chopped
- pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup blended cottage cheese or sour cream
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- pepper to taste
- 200 grams egg noodles cook to package directions
- Begin by preparing the ingredients. Cut 200 g of halloumi cheese into strips, dice 1 onion, mince 2 cloves of garlic and slice a package of mushrooms.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, add the halloumi strips and fry until they are nicely browned on both sides. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side. Once done, remove the halloumi from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil and the diced onion and cook until softened which should take about 3-4 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they have softened and released their juices.
- Add 3 cups of spinach to the pan and cook until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Then, add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Deglaze the pan with ⅓ cup of white wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoon of flour into 2 cups of broth until no lumps remain. Stir this mixture into the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of grainy mustard, 2 teaspoon of maple syrup, ½ teaspoon of thyme, a pinch of nutmeg to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add ½ cup of blended cottage cheese or sour cream to the pan and stir until fully combined.
- Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions.
- Taste the stroganoff and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Finally, add the halloumi strips back into the pan and chop them up into bite sized pieces. Add the cooked egg noodles to the pan and combine.
- Serve the stroganoff hot, topped with a sprinkle of fresh thyme if desired. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe please leave a comment and give this recipe a rating! I aim to respond to every single comment. I am so grateful when you trust me and try one of my recipe creations in your own kitchen. I love to hear how it went! Let’s connect on Instagram and tag me in your food pics!
‘Til next time,
Leave a Reply