This salad is full of super nourishing foods. Buckwheat is an ancient grain high in protein and a good source of fiber. The addition of buckwheat groats upgrades this salad to make it more filling and energizing. As a gluten free grain, buckwheat is a superfood which gives many health benefits. Buckwheat can help promote weight loss, is a high source of energy, and contains all eight essential amino acids while still remaining easy to digest.
Sunflower seeds are also a source of many vitamins which, along with cranberries, boost your immune system with zinc and selenium.
The apples, celery, and green onion further support the light but full bodied depth of this nutritious salad. Some people have buckwheat groats for breakfast like an oatmeal, but in this salad they contribute a toasty flavor, making it a nutrient rich food!
Buckwheat groats are the hulled seeds of a buckwheat plant. In their raw form, groats are often cooked and made into a variety of breakfast recipes. When cooked, the groats take on a nutty and earthy flavor and add so much to recipes like this salad. You can also take the groats and turn them into flour to use as a flour substitute, increasing the nutritional value of your baked goods. Buckwheat flour is also widely available in grocery stores.
Try My Buckwheat Flour Recipes:
Frequently Asked Questions
Add a zesty dressing to go with this salad! Here are some of my suggestions:
Tips for Making This Recipe
- You can change some of the elements of this salad while maintaining the flavours and rich nutritious benefits. For example, you can try swapping the spinach with another salad green such as kale, rainbow chard, or arugula. Or swap the celery for cucumber or raw zucchini.
- Try taking your own spin on this salad by adding your own touch. A light cheese such as feta or mozzarella would add another flavor to the salad. Experiment with adding other nutritious nuts or seeds you have in your pantry, such as hemp seeds, chia, or roasted pistachios. You can try other additions of roasted vegetables such as beets, pumpkin, sweet potato or carrot.
More Recipes to Enjoy
This lemon chicken orzo soup will become your new go-to chicken soup. The fresh, creamy, lemony broth is the perfect slurping soup for chilly evenings, and the orzo rice-shaped pasta fills you up just like hearty comfort food should!
Chili Lime Sunflower Seed Dip is creamy, tangy, fresh and flavourful. Sunflower Seed dip is made from wholesome ingredients including raw sunflower seeds, a whole large carrot, olive oil and fresh citrus juice.
My recipe for Date Cookies creates a delicious and nutritious cookie filled with oats, nuts and dried fruit. These cookies are similar to an oatmeal raisin cookie but use dates instead.
Buckwheat Groat Salad
Cranberry Apple Buckwheat Salad
Cooking Buckwheat Groats
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- pinch of salt or add a bouillon cube for flavor
Assemble The Salad
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 1 stalk green onion finely chopped
- 2 small apples chopped
- 2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 2 cups baby spinach
Cook Buckwheat Groats
- There are various methods for cooking buckwheat groats. If you have a tried and true method then definitely use it! I'll share what works for me:
- Rinse the buckwheat well in a strainer under cold water. (This is a very important step.)
- Add the rinsed buckwheat, water and salt to a medium sized pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-heat. Add a tight fitting lid and lower the heat. Allow the buckwheat to simmer with the lid on for 7-10 minutes. Remove from the heat when the liquid is absorbed.
- Allow the buckwheat to stand for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Allow the buckwheat to cool down before adding to the salad.
- Note: I have had success with rinsing my buckwheat groats after cooking if they come out too clumped together. I rinse and then lay out on a kitchen towel to allow them to dry a bit.
Assemble The Salad
- Finely chop the celery, apple and green onion.
- Assemble all the salad ingredients in a large bowl or platter and toss to combine. Add the dressing of your choice and enjoy!
- Note: I dress this salad simply with a drizzle of olive oil, splash of apple cider vinegar and a few shakes of herbamare seasoning and it's delicious!
‘Til next time,